Wednesday, January 21, 2009

President Barack H. Obama

WOW. Even typing that title is amazing to me. Maybe I am overexcited and overzealous. Maybe I am not thinking rationally, but going to the inauguration was one of the best experiences of my life. Yes, we had to wake up very early after very little sleep and go stand in line for 30 minutes to get a train in below freezing temperatures, but I would still say it was worth it. We arrived in DC around 6:20am or so. It was below freezing with a brutal windchill, but we were determined to get to the mall and get a great spot. We thought we were wearing enough layers, but 8+ hours in below freezing temperatures will begin to wear on your body...but more on that later. We were sent back and forth (the police were giving conflicting instructions), but finally made it to 12th, where we could enter the mall. After standing for another 45 minutes or so, they finally allowed us to cross around 7:40am.

We entered the mall and couldn't believe how many people we were seeing. It was amazing. They were playing footage from a few days prior (I am unsure if the audience realized this as they responded as if it were live...hilarious), but it was still building the drama. In the back of my mind I was preparing for the worst (bombs, assassination attempts, etc.), but I was hoping for the best. After hours of waiting and being bumped by people that were randomly walking through the crowd (but not really getting anywhere), we caught a glimpse of President Obama on the big screen. The crowd cheered! But then we realized he was with President Bush and most began to boo. The best transition in emotion for crowd response in a long time.

Another great unintentional comedic happening was the mics being on as 'important people' took their seats onstage. Lots of small talk and funny little comments... Finally it was time to bring in the real important people (First Lady Michelle Obama, preceded by the First Daughters...all looking like royalty) and the crowd was eating it up. We began to chant for Obama! We could not wait for the first black President to be sworn in.

After a long prayer by Rick Warren, we finally got to the preliminaries. Vice President Biden, Aretha, and an amazing instrumental ensemble that was ridiculously precise and perfectly 'feeling' each note they played. The chills were beginning. Then we began the swearing in of our President. OUR PRESIDENT!!!! President Obama stumbled through those lines, but that added an air of gravitas to the proceedings that can not be describe. It showed that even cool as silk Obama felt the immense importance of that action (and was appropriately nervous/excited). Here is where things really took off!

The speech began and we all were eager for each word. I can't describe it (seriously, you had to be there), but we felt that we were part of the ceremony. I felt a connection with President Obama. It was surreal. I was immensely proud to be an American. Excited to be cold amongst the throngs. Barely feeling my extremities, yet oddly, fully aware of each word and emotion it invoked within me. It was a great, repeat GREAT, experience. President Obama's speech gave hope to so many and inspired us all. Yes, he man not be the greatest President ever or even decent, but I have hope that our future will brighten slightly...don't you?

2 comments:

Samit said...

I wish we could have gone to the ceremony as well. It was an awe-inspiring sight when the camera panned across the national mall yesterday. I am hopeful about the leadership Obama can bring...I'm just not so hopeful about the idiots he's trying to lead in this country. I hope we all listen.

Unknown said...

Great write-up. I wish we could have been there with you guys.