Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Katt Williams and Steve Harvey

I have several thoughts about the recent rift between Katt Williams and Steve Harvey. At first I couldn't care less. I don't think Katt Williams is a great comic. I think he is average at best. I don't think Steve Harvey is a great comic. I think he is average at best. Steve Harvey has laid claim to being one of the original kings of comedy. Katt Williams feels that Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, and Robin Harris are the original kings. And both are claiming to be better than the other. Why does this bother me? Because I dislike both of their comedy styles. There isn't any intelligence in their comedy. In my opinion, they are only slightly better than BET Comicview (sometimes good, but mostly redundant and ignorant). Comedians must have some intelligence in their acts. Even Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, and Eddie Murphy brought an intellect to their game. Currently, my top comedians are Paul Mooney (wrote for Richard Pryor) and Dave Chappelle (watch any of his specials...classic!). My all-time favorites include Pryor, Cosby, and Murphy.

Maybe I have a problem. But I can't stand to hear about rims, chicken, and watermelon at every show. Broaden your act! You don't have to give up your "blackness" (check out this Paul Mooney clip, watch the "Analyzing White America" video). I think that we need to speak out against the Katt Williams explosion. He is funny at times, but he brings nothing to the game.

And if you feel differently, please enlighten me. But his comedy seems extremely shallow. He has no range and can't get deeper...

I leave you with this performance...hilarious.

3 comments:

unSlimmie said...

Why, oh, why did Dave Chappelle have to leave us in this dismal comedic world? I'll admit I've laughed out loud at Katt Williams, but Steve Harvey works my LAST nerve. From the mustache to the loud suits to that ign'ant laugh. Ugh. Anyway, I'm holding on to hope that we'll soon be graced with real comedy. Someday....

Theo said...

I laugh at Katt Williams, but most times my ears need a break! I need more from my comedians!

Dave Chappelle still tours! Or at least that is what he said when he interviewed James Lipton (best thing ever)!

Check out this tidbit in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2v37u39NY

slaihing said...

"Maybe I have a problem. But I can't stand to hear about rims, chicken, and watermelon at every show. Broaden your act!"

Truer words never spoken. Leave that mess for comicview.