Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama is PRESIDENT

Obama is the next president of the USA. I can’t believe it even as I am typing. It is 12:13am and Obama is speaking the greatest speech of my lifetime. I see Oprah and Jesse crying. I have called everyone that I can (new phone, no numbers transferred) and I could only say the following, “My fellow black American, we have a president that looks like us.” I screamed and yelled. Calmed down and then got even more excited. The emotions are all over the place. THIS IS CRUCIAL. The preceding sentences were toned down, below is how I feel inside.
BARACK OBAMA IS THE FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE. HE IS QUALIFIED. HE CAN LEAD US TO A GREAT FUTURE. I CAN’T BELIEVE MY EYES!!! NEGRO PRESIDENT! NEGRO PRESIDENT! NEGRO PRESIDENT! AMAZING!
The music is catching my spirit and lifting it to new heights. This is our time. I don’t mean blacks, I mean ALL AMERICANS! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN!

No words can truly describe this feeling but an analogy may work. Think back to the most amazing thing you can remember. Got it? Obama being elected is at least 100 million times greater. It means so much. 45 years ago we fought for our equality and won it. However, this is the true realization of equality. This is our proving ground. We can now look on our fellow Americans with the same intense pride that they feel. My mind is being expanded as we speak. LIFT EVERY VOICE AND SING.

Do you think that W.E.B DuBois expected this? Jackie Robinson? Frederick Douglass? Dred Scott? Booker T. Washington? Harriet Tubman? Sojourner Truth? Maya Angelou? THIS IS AMERICA. THIS IS THE COUNTRY WE BROKE OUR BACKS TO BUILD!
I cannot believe this…what a day tomorrow will be!

1 comment:

F1rstLady said...

I love it amazing. You truly captured what I felt. I had to break it down into small pieces. I literally blinked and they announced it. I just kept hearing president-elect Barack Obama and I thought it was fake. I thought they were being amitious. I looked, I stared at the TV, I cried, I fell to my knees. I prayed. I called just about all my family (even my mom who in St. Lucia costs me $1 a minute). I wished that I was around a group of people so I could celebrate with someone else.

And the morning after I walked with a new pep. I felt more American. I finally felt like I didn't have to be better to be on the same level as our fellow American.