Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Because He's Black....

A friend of mine asked me a question. She wanted to know why I would vote for Barack Obama. I had many different reasons for preferring the "inexperienced senator" instead of the "old school" war hero. But she told me that there were people who were voting for Obama specifically because he is black. Seems really superficial, doesn't it? Seems dangerous too. 
But then I got to really thinking about it. What would be the premise behind electing someone specifically because of the color of their skin. Would we be any better than the woman who stated to a reporter on national TV that if Obama got elected, "the blacks would take over"?
Personally I believe in what Obama stands to do and change in this country. And I believe that this is a country of opportunities, but for most of my life, I was skeptical about the limitlessness of those opportunities. I've seen people get sentenced to more time for the same crimes specifically because of color. I experienced police trying to capitalize on how ignorant they believe you to be whether it be a simple traffic stop or the law as it pertains to search and seizure. I've seen an ugly side to this America that had left me doubtful of how far we had really come. 
I don't believe that racism and social injustice for white or black or anyone else is obsolete. Racism has just become much more diplomatic and covert. That explains some of the flare ups during the mid to later parts of the campaigning. Heck, don't take my word for it. Just check youtube. That's why I don't think affirmative action should be done away with yet. 
Anyway, back on topic: Do I think it's right to elect someone for the high office of President of the United States based on race? Not by any means. But let's say for a moment that Obama and McCain had the same principles. Let's say they had the same plans for the economy and for health care. Let's say the only thing different about them was their color. Who would you vote for? I know who I would vote for. I would vote for Barack Obama. 
It's not strictly a matter of race. Well, yeah it is. But it's not what you think. It's not a loyalty to one who is of my color but a believe that America can be on the inside the same thing it says it is on the outside. I believe that the election of a black president brings into view the ideal America that the constitution speaks about where "all men are created equal". To stick with the status quo would never bring that idea to a visual, a tangible reality. 
We have reached a new social apex in history. We were a part of the more profound rooting of the values that we preach being something we are willing to live. We are pushing ever so closely to a point where affirmative action really will be completely obsolete and not just addressed as such by those who feel like it's being abused. 
I always believed that this country is a place where we are allowed opportunities that we would never receive anywhere else. But now the vision isn't so vague anymore. Being anything you want to be isn't just a matter of words anymore. 
So I think I might be one of those too. One of those people who have voted Barack Obama because he's black. I'm also one of those people who voted for Obama because he can rally a nation and because he can bring a fresh new outlook and because his priorities for a government and a country are more in line with what I believe. I'm proud of all the reasons I voted. Are you? 

1 comment:

Theo said...

I am proud that I voted for him. I voted for his principles and for the fact that he is black. Why can't we do both? Plenty of candidates that were white have been voted for by whites, isn't that subconsciously the same thing?