Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Locked Cell Phones!

Several of you may know that I have an iPhone that I enjoy! However, I am still partial to fairness in business and the iPhone (as well as the Blackberry Storm) is the antithesis of fair.

Opposition has been growing against several of the major cell phone service providers. The opposition aruges against the fact that most cell phones are sold locked and can only be used with the larger phone companies (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile). The argument is that this prevents competition from smaller companies because it is harder for them to sell attractive headsets. But if cell phones were sold like TVs, then the consumer could choose how they want their service (or programming in this analogy). Meaning that small time service providers could provide cheaper service (providers like MetroPCS, etc.) and compete with the large companies (due to unlocked phones).

Now, I kind of enjoy the fact that certain phones are with certain companies, but it is time for a change. Most other countries (and most have better phones) have unlocked phones...it just makes sense. I have long believed that the whole system is garbage because you never really own your cellphone if it is locked. You are bound to that provider. You can't switch providers based on service. You have to switch based on phones and service (bogus). I have friends who unlock phones or buy unlocked phones, but it shouldn't have to be outside the mainstream. I should be able to walk inside Best Buy and purchase any cellular device and then walk into any cell phone provider and have that device work with their services. That is all I would like...please can we get this done?

5 comments:

Lexi~Breau said...

I completely agree because I want the iphone and I am not going to change providers. I don't like unlocked phones because the provider doesn't cover them.

I do think that if they did sell cell phones like that you wouldn't be able to walk in with issues and walk out with a brand new phone. Customer service would prolly suck.

Theo said...

I was told that the iPhone was originally offered to Verizon, but they declined to sign the contract. I wonder what my life would be like with Verizon instead of AT&T. Could I live?

slaihing said...

Lol good post. I was unlocking phones and using them back with T-mobile in 2001. "Unlocking" normally means just GSM though, and the largest (or second largest) carrier in America is CDMA (Verizon). However, recent developments have shown that CDMA carriers in the USA will soon start accepting other CDMA devices from other carriers for use on their network (like the superior Sprint version of the Touch Pro could be used on Verizon instead of their crippled version). Time will tell though if the carriers will follow through with that. Also, I know that back a few years ago, you could call your provider and tell them you were traveling out of the country and they would GIVE you the unlock code at no charge over the phone. Not sure if they still do that.

slaihing said...

And as good as the Iphone is, I am not falling for the hype. Not being able to cut and paste, send a real MMS, have expandable memory, or record a video is inexcusable, regardless of how good the touch screen is. HTC touch pro for the win.

Theo said...

MMS is trash (even though I want it) because you can just send stuff via email from your phone...

The video thing should be implemented in the next software upgrade (the hardware is there). And who cares about expandable memory (I don't)? And cut and paste is a good thing, but I have been irritated or upset that I don't have it.

HTC has its faults, but I'll do some more research before I unveil them (perhaps the music player?).